Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 02:35:25 -0400
Thanks Tom,

This AV640 is on a 32 foot Aluminum tower on the west end of the shop that
is tied into a ground system. There is about 75 to 80 feet of LMR-400 that
runs through conduit from just behind the station, up over the south big
door, back down and then half way across the west wall about 3 feet off the
floor.  It goes through the wall and into a metal box and through about a 12
inch long inch and a half thin wall conduit.From there it's just a drip loop
to the tower.

I don't appear to have any RF getting back into the shop, but the entire
interior of the shop is bonded barn metal so it makes a pretty good shield.

The antenna works well (a relative term) on 40 and I have run the legal
limit into it from a Henry 2K4.  It also appears to work well (for a
vertical) on 6-meters.  I've heard a few stations on 15 and 10 but not much
as I've remarked, I'm usually out there around this time of night (currently
2:30 AM), but the darn thing is just plain deaf on 20 and I'd really like to
use it on 20.

This is not a "serious" station, but consists of my old Hallicrafters stuff
and the little Yaesu FT897D currently barefoot, but soon to drive the 2K4. I
listen to it while working on projects, the airplane, or programming.  If a
good opening comes along, I come inside and fire up the station in here, but
typically I'd use the one out there, if I could hear, or be heard.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com