Re: [TowerTalk] FW: The PERILS of single point grounding

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: The PERILS of single point grounding
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 15:30:32 -0500
The SPG you described is about as good as you can get.  If not SPG, what
else would you call it?

When lightning strikes we can only manage the flow of electrons to a certain
extent.  This is what a SPG is all about; put all of your equipment at the
same potential so there are only very low impedance paths between each unit.
Also, place as many outside dispersal points (e.g. copper straps leading to
other ground rods) as possible along the SPG connections to reduce the total
charge per path.

The electron flow itself is dependent on all possible paths for the free
electrons to find a resting place.  An atom can hold just so many electrons,
so each free electron has to basically seek out a separate atom.  Thus, the
discharge of a strike involves an arbitrarily large number of paths and
atoms.  Each flow seeks the path of least impedance.  Have you seen a high
speed photo taken of an actual strike?  It will show literally thousands of
separate flow "fingers" surrounding the main strike point.  These fingers
can travel over more than an acre of land.

If a flow makes it into the shack via a coax center conductor or rotor
control wire, it will go through some electronic components until it finds
the neutral of the AC cord for a final trip to the service entrance ground
rod, to be dispersed to the surrounding earth.  In extreme cases the flow is
sufficient to literally blow tiles off of a wall that are near the romex.
This is why the coax/control cable should be tied to the SPG BEFORE it
enters the shack.  If you were an electron, you would rather go to the
neutral ground rod via the SPG rather than through the longer path into the
shack.  If you use Polyphasers, the shack path will be even less attractive.

IMO, if you do not have a SPG, and your equipment is not chassis grounded to
it, you should unplug the AC, coax and control cables to be completely safe.
However, with a properly implemented SPG, you should not have to unplug
anything (unless you are paranoid).

73, Keith NM5G