Re: [TowerTalk] Two Radial Questions

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Two Radial Questions
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:40:31 -0500
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:46:41 -0400, Pat Chiles wrote:

>My question is this.  If I attach two wires to one of these very
>short radials (3-7 feet) and and then run them out about 100 to 130
>feet, will they act as two radials or just one?

Most of what I have read on the topic suggests that copper close to
the base of the antenna provides more bang for the buck than copper
more distant. On the other hand, more copper is better, no matter
where you put it. In essence, it's the quantity of copper in the
ground that counts. And yes, I think that two radials connected to
your short "stubby" radials would act almost like two radials --
except for the area closer to the tower.

In retrospect, the BEST thing you could have done is to have buried
60 short radials, even if you now extend only half of them. As to
wire size -- if using smaller wire will allow you to get more
radials in the ground, I would do it. If it were my money, I'd use #
14 or #16. Compared to labor, wire is cheap. :)

Jim K9YC