Re: [TowerTalk] Two Radial Questions

To: "Pat Chiles" <chilesp@adelphia.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Two Radial Questions
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:05:50 -0400
> My question is this.  If I attach two wires to one of
these very short radials (3-7 feet) and and then run them
out about 100 to 130 feet, will they act as two radials or
just one?

If you fan the radials out like a V, each pair will act like
two radials. You could actually put more than two radials on
each stubby radial.

The rule of thumb is anything closer than about .025 wl
spacing starts to act like a single large conductor. The
ground system probably doesn't need to be as "thick" near
the tower, but since conducted current density is much
higher you wouldn't want to skimp too much near the tower.

> My other question is did I read on Tower Talk during the
past month that #22 stranded and insulated copper wire is
fine for radials?

I wouldn't do that if it was anything but very short term.
Radial reliability or life would probably not be good. I
have great results with #16 bare copper. Lightning doesn't
damage it, and it is tough enough to last unless it gets cut
by something. I'd sure think twice about using anything
thinner!

73 Tom