Re: [TowerTalk] [800 M longwire] Basic question...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [800 M longwire] Basic question...
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:28:18 -0500
Is it "written" someplace that he has to use the entire span for the active
antenna???

No, but I have already tried reducing wire length to see if this was a
possiblity.  A shorter wire results in less lobes which does make the
antenna less frequency sensitive, but it reduces the gain in the lobes.
Like so many other things in antenna design, it is difficult to find a
free lunch.  There may be some other things, like you mentioned, extra
wires etc, that will make a difference, but I haven't investigated any
of those yet.

Increasing antenna height will also make the antenna less frequency
sensitive, as well as increase the gain by a large amount, but
mechanical considerations limit this.

Note: Some of these nulls tend to get filled in, because of
nonlinearities of the surroundings, but they do so by subtracting some
gain from the lobes.

Actually, placing a verticle over salt water will produce significantly
more gain, plus have a predictable pattern, compared to building this
antenna with 17 gauge wire at low height.  A vertical over salt water is
a dynamite antenna and hard to beat. .. except maybe by TWO verticals
over salt water.

Jerry, K4SAV