Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole resonates lower than expected.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole resonates lower than expected.
From: "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:59:12 -0500

> Subject: [TowerTalk] Dipole resonates lower than expected.
>
> I slapped together an 80m dipole using the L=468/F formula and find
>that it
> resonates about 200 KHz lower than expected.

There's the biggest part of the problem, Bob.  You "slapped" it
together.  Everyone knows that antenna building must be done with
reverence and deliberation.

> My target frequency was 3.775 MHz. That's 124 feet on my calculator.
>
> I built it using some left-over solid copper 12 gauge plastic
>jacketed house
> wire. I center feed it with 100' of RG-59/a coax. One end is up 60
>feet, the
> other end about 40 feet. Using my AEA HF Analyst, it dips at 3.585
>MHz with
> a VSWR of 1.6:1. This is a 5.3% difference in length from the
>formula.
>
> I can easily trim the length to meet my design goal, but I am
>curious why
> theory doesn't match reality a little closer. Does the plastic
>jacket affect
> the length? I would expect the resonant point to drop somewhat if
>the
> antenna was "dragging on the ground". Or is 50' of height not
>adequate?

All the responses have addressed the effects of insulation on the
wire, Bob.  But, no one has commented on what the analyzer result was
in a 75 ohm system.  Does your analyzer evaluate 75 ohm systems or
52/50 ohm systems?

While the results (determination of resonance and/or minimal SWR) may
be useful, are they accurate and effective.

That is, are you tuning the system (radiator and feedline) and not the
antenna (the radiator) because you're using 75-ohm coax feedline?  Or
is the coax impedance irrelevant?

73,
dale, kg5u