Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete Fiber

To: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>,"Dino Darling" <k6rix@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete Fiber
From: "Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181" <ooe@odessaoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:51:56 -0700
I just put in over 600 square feet of new floor space and 70+ feet of
sidewalk at my house and we put a 20x19 floor in the garage at my new
office.  I put fiber in all of it.  It's now called microfiber.  It's a bit
harder to finish but not much.  You just have to keep your tools clean.

I can tell you that it did make a difference when the concrete was in those
little clumps you get around the edges of your forms?  When you cracked them
they still held together.  It was strange because a guy just couldn't bust
up the little chunks of waste easily like I could years ago when I did my
last concrete job.

The concrete guys I talked to before putting the fiber in all said that it
wouldn't stop any cracking (and pouring 3 truck fulls on one 95*+ day proves
it).  And both of my big slabs cracked within days.  Guess I should have
kept them wetter longer.  What they did tell me was that even with the
cracks they won't move.  I guess I'll find that out in the next 20 years
:-).

My old sidewalk (which I also poured and also had pig wire and rebar in it)
was about 30' long.  It had NO joints in it (I hate snow shoveling with them
in there) and had cracked in 2 places over the 10 or 12 years that it was
there.  We'll see how this new one holds up.  I'll try to remember to let
you guys know sometime in the next 15 years!  hehehee  Oh yeah, no joints in
this one either.

laters,
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)