Re: [TowerTalk] Radials

To: chief@thechief.com, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:06:00 +0000
Dudley:

     Belts-and-suspenders.  That's what I did, FWIW.  On my tower I installed
about 135 feet of #2 solid tinned copper ground wire buried about eighteen
inches.  I welded this wire to twelve 8-foot long copper clad ground rods.
These rods were driven four around the tower (to which the three legs were
connected) and one at the single point ground panel outside my ground-floor
shack wall.  The remaining rods were spaced at sixteen foot intervals along the
unequal length radials.

     When I added the shunt-feed to the tower, I added seven ground surface
mounted (i.e., in the grass) #18 insulated radial wires.  Five are about 100
feet long and two are 35 feet l ong.  One of these shorter radials also
connects to the steel fence wire of the corrale fence around the back yard.
(In case you're wondering - because it was there.)  I used a split bolt
connector for this connections.

      I have frequently thought about disconnecting one set of grounds then the
other and seeing how the tower behaves on 160M.  Unfortunately, I don't have a
round tuit yet.  (Did I say that right?)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F