Re: [TowerTalk] BEST MEDIUM SIZED TRIBANDER BEAM FOR CONTESTING?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BEST MEDIUM SIZED TRIBANDER BEAM FOR CONTESTING?
From: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:15:45 -0800
I'm not sure you can say the SteppIR is the BEST contesting antenna.  I own
a 3 element SteppIR and love it.  The primary reasons I chose SteppIR are:
1) It is less visible on a small city lot (ie. 6 band coverage with only 3
physical elements)
2) It does a better job of covering WARC bands than most other multi-band
yagis

For me, it was important to go with something with as few elements as
possible because I put my antenna up in a city that doesn't allow amateur
towers.  In other words, I had to violate zoning regulations to put my
antenna up.  The only way I was going to keep it up (unless willing to hire
a good, expensive lawyer) was to make it as minimally visible as possible.
IMO the SteppIR is THE BEST yagi for those of us that live in densely
populated suburbs where peace with the neighbors and the local zoning board
is important.  Yes, it is a compromise.

If I wasn't worried about the neighbors (or wifes) complaints or local
zoning board I would probably go with a different yagi.  I'd probably go
with the OptiBeam OB13-6 or possibly one of the Force 12 XR antennas.  The
SteppIR doesn't change bands fast enough for people doing SO2R or trying to
pick up a mult on another band.  The 180 degree phase shift is a nice
feature and I use it often, but I don't think it makes up for the inability
to quickly change bands or to listen to another band (on another feedline)
in between CQs.

All triband yagi's are a compromise.  What works for me doesn't work for
someone else who has a different operating style or a different location or
different neighbors.  I love my SteppIR, but I certainly don't think it is
the "be-all and end-all" of yagi designs.