[TowerTalk] Positoners Calibration to True North

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Positoners Calibration to True North
From: "VK2SN - Sean P Neylon" <sean@vk2sn.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 06:57:08 +1100
Dear all,

I am just about to stand up my tower with everything ready to go.yippee..at
last..

I have Azimuth and Elevation Positioners M2 OR2800PDC and M2 MT1000  see
www.vk2sn.com <http://www.vk2sn.com/>  for further details of my set-up.

My location is in the city of Sydney Australia  S33  53'  12.6''   and
E151  14'  45.4''    Grid   QF56oc

To start with I will calibrate my poisoners to True North for Nova and
such., then once up and running, I will use the Sun or whatever to further
calibrate via the controller for accuracy.  But I want to at least get it
close to accurate before I put the tower up.

I also cant really re-adjust once it goes up, I have to pull it down and so
on.its very heavy for one person, so Im hoping to get things sorted before
it goes up,..plus its too dangerous to climb and Im not one for climbing
towers..I like my kids and want to see them live for a very long time.I
don't have the experience.smile.I'll do most things in life..but not climb
towers on houses..!!!

So the question is, I will use a compass to choose North, but this is
Magnetic North, to get True North, how many degrees do I add or subtract
from Magnetic North.or where can I find this info, or how can I calculate it
from my Sydney position - because I gather its different for everyone re
Latitude.

By the way, I hope this makes sense, the last time I had to figure out where
I was by using a compass was when I was about 14 years old..so I would like
some advice..

Please advise if Im doing this right, or is there a much better and easy way
to sort/calibrate this situation..

Thanks guys,

Sean Neylon

Sean  P.  Neylon     VK2SN     QF56oc