[TowerTalk] EZ-hang

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] EZ-hang
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:17:19 +0000
Sling shots and bow/arrows sound great if you have the room. Those of us in built up areas in towns with small lots face other problems: lots of houses with big windows that seem to have a magnetic attraction for the lead weight, lots of cars parked outside asking to be dented or broken, and people watching and asking questions.

I've come up with two ways around this:

1. I use one of the mfj 33 foot fishing poles to poke the weight up in the tree and drop it. Advantages are I have complete control over the weight and get the line right the first time, and no worries about the weight thunking on a roof, person, car roof or smashing windows. The big drawback of course is that unless you can get up on something, or clamp an extension to the pole, you are limited to getting ur wire up about 35 to 40 feet.

2. the second work around also takes care of the height limit in 1. I get a professional from a local tree service to come over and for sixty bucks he'll go up all over a tree with a chain saw and get rid of branches that are getting too close to my loop. this has to be done about every two years. he also puts up wires. if you have a problem with launching anything and have not been up in a tree for 40 years, get out the yellow pages and start calling tree services. For about what you would spend on a fancy slingshot gizmo you can stand on the ground while a guy goes up and puts ur dipole just where you want it. Be sure to use a pully and counter weight your wire at each end.

73,
rob / k5uj