Re: [TowerTalk] Re-Bar Cage Advise

To: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>,TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re-Bar Cage Advise
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 04:57:51 +0000
TT:

     To hold my tower's cage in place (it was a bit wobbly in the hole) prior
to the concrete pour, I wire tied the top horizontal rebar pieces to the wooden
form above ground.  I drove  few 16d duplex nails into the tops of the form
around the perimeter.  Then I wired each top rebar element to a nail, pulling
the wire tight.

     When the concrete pour reached within a foot of the top rebar, I cut the
tie wires at the rebar and pulled them out.  Don't cut them after the pour is
completed; you'll have small pieces of steel wire exposed to the elements and
they'll corrode and expand, possibly damaging the top of the concrete and
leaving a way for water to ingress.

     BTW - duplex nails have two heads on the end, separated by about a
quarter-inch.  You drive these things into temporary wooden forms up to the
first head.  This leaves a quarter-inch space above for your claw hammer,
making it easy to remove the nails to disassemble the forms.  This nail space
is where I tied off the wires holding the rebar cage during the pour.  You can
also use ordinary nails driven part way into the top of the forms, but I had
the duplex version on hand for the form itself.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
> Hi, TTrs;