Re: [TowerTalk] Re-Bar Cage Advise

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re-Bar Cage Advise
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:30:56 -0600
Yep, this will be heavy.  The US Tower website shows the rebar cage for
the HDX589 as using #9 rebar at the corners and not #13. You are
apparantly overdesigning it for some reason. Even the HXD5106 uses only
#9. The cage using #9 and #4 rebar will weigh 301 lbs.  If you build it
with #13 and #4, it will weigh 517 lbs. This will be hard to manage.
Your estimate of 200 to 250 lbs is a bit off.

The cage for my HDX555 was only slightly smaller than that for the
HDX589 (as shown on the US Tower drawings, 245 vs 301 lbs).  While
wiring mine together, I used some 2x4 bracing to hold it.  I used my
front-end loader to lower it into the hole.  It was somewhat wobbly but
once I got it into the hole, I used rope to tie the corners to the
stakes used for the wooden form at the top.  The concrete pour didn't
move it.

If you use #9 rebar you should be able to do the same.  If you use #13,
this will be significantly harder to handle during assembly and loading
into the hole. And I wouldn't recommend getting into that hole.

Jerry, K4SAV