[TowerTalk] MA-55 Tower and Foundation

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MA-55 Tower and Foundation
From: "D. Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:28:21 -0500
I am thinking about getting a MA-55 tower.  My soil conditions are rock with
just a 3" covering of soil.  Digging a 3' x 3' x 5' hole is exceedingly
expensive.  Since the idea of the deep hole filled with concrete is to
prevent overturning, I was thinking of alternative.

My back patio is a 15'x19'and at least 2' thick (visible above grade),
reinforced with rebar.  With footing, it is expected to be much thicker.
Because of the large mass of this slab, it will certainly withstand the
structure weight and the overturning moment of 14 ft-kips....when I go thru
the free body diagram and calculate the loading on the concrete, it takes an
amazing amount of moment to cause this slab to move or lift.

Now my question, does this make sense, or am I approaching this incorrectly?
Anyone have any other suggestions?

Scott
KBØFHP