Re: [TowerTalk] MA-55 Tower and Foundation

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kb0fhp@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MA-55 Tower and Foundation
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:43:55 EST

In a message dated 1/28/2006 9:34:02 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I am thinking about getting a MA-55 tower.  My soil  conditions are rock
with
just a 3" covering of soil.  Digging a 3' x  3' x 5' hole is exceedingly
expensive.  Since the idea of the deep  hole filled with concrete is to
prevent overturning, I was thinking of  alternative.

    Is it possible to use the rock 3" down? Even if  it was a little
shattered, you could put a bunch of concrete over the top of  it to "encourage"
it to
act as the tower base. There's a couple of ways to use  the rock relatively
easily.

    Why would you pay for an expensive excavation of  rock if you're just
going to fill the hole back in with concrete?

>  My back patio is a 15'x19'and at least 2' thick (visible  above grade),
reinforced with rebar.  With footing, it is expected to  be much thicker.
Because of the large mass of this slab, it will certainly  withstand the
structure weight and the overturning moment of 14  ft-kips....when I go thru
the free body diagram and calculate the loading  on the concrete, it takes an
amazing amount of moment to cause this slab to  move or lift.

    Time to get an engineer involved, Dude - that's  an engineering question.
It might even be suitable for what you're proposing.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188