Re: [TowerTalk] Nosey noise question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Nosey noise question
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 23:33:01 -0600
Aw shucks, there's no magic involved.  I think I figured this out...

Here goes my explanation:

I have to make one assumption for this to work, and that is that noise
arrives at the antenna from all angles roughly equal. Don't know how
true this is, but seems reasonable.

On 160, an inverted vee with apex at 50 ft, ends at 15 ft, is roughly
equivalent to a dipole at 32 ft.

Consider a short dipole, (the beam isn't much different at 160M), it
will have a lot of attenuation but signal and noise will be attenuated
equally, so its actual gain doesn't matter.  What does matter is that
the short dipole is 65-32= 33 equivalent feet higher.  This will have
approximately 7 dB more gain for the low angle signals om 160M. Assuming
noise arriving at all angles, then there is a 7dB improvement in signal
to noise ratio on the higher antenna.

I was hoping for some magic item I could put to use on other antennas.
Oh well.

If anyone wants to add anything or tear my analysis apart, feel free.

Jerry, K4SAV