Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..

To: "StellarCAT" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>,"tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..
From: <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:12:45 -0500
Gary:

     Several on this list have grounded their parasitic elements of their
F12 design Yagis.  Nathan (W6XR?) of F12 posted here ca Summer/Fall of 2001
that such grounding was indeed possible at the boom/element junctions with
his designs.

     My Bencher Skyhawk is of eerily similar design to F12's.  To improve
the top-hat loading of the Skyhawk on my tower, I grounded the parasitics
with 3/4 inch by 5 inch pieces of aluminum flashing.  I used stainless
self-tapping #10 screws through the PVC insulator to fasten the metal to the
element.  I used SS hose clamps, NoAlOx and Scotch 88 tape to fasten the
other ends of the flashing to the boom.  Seems to work for my intended
purpose (cap loading on 160 and 80M.)

     I did not install inductors in shunt with the feedpoints, though.  But
recall that I grounded the parasitics for loading, not to preclude a
lightning strike.  Grounding will also eliminate any arc-over that might be
caused by shunt-feeding the tower and running QRO on Topband using the Yagi
as capacitive loading.  FWIW.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F