Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..

To: "reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:32:37 -0000
You are mixing up a couple things... 'cosmic rays from a strike' has nothing
to do with how strokes occur.  There is some evidence for very large strokes
causing enough of a field to cause x-rays and maybe higher energy particles,
but that is after the fact.

The causing of strokes by cosmic rays is another thing all together.  Even
with assistance from cosmic rays there is not enough potential to bridge the
gap from cloud to earth in one step.  And if cosmic rays really did cause
enough of an ion trail all the way from the cloud to the ground then the
strokes would always be arrow straight, which obviously they aren't.  the
phenomena of leader progression and streamers is very well documented now
and explains very nicely how the stroke channel grows in steps from the
cloud or ground and how the final connection is made to start the discharge.
This also works for strokes that progress a very long distance away from the
cloud, no need for cosmic help in either case.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net