Re: [TowerTalk] motorizing the hand winch on a US Tower MARB550

To: trscott@sterlink.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] motorizing the hand winch on a US Tower MARB550
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:24:08 -0800 (PST)
I was considering doing this on the tilt over winch on my tower (the
crank up is already motorized).  Even by hand, where the required
torque is at least 50 ft lbs, I can crank it down by hand fast
enough to overheat the friction brake.  So I have to take rest
breaks for the brake before I am tired.  In light of this, I
have not put a motor on, because it wouldn't save any time.

If you do put a motor on, don't go faster than the brake is capable
of.

Here is a trick for attaching a sprocket to the winch shaft.
Leave the handle on, but replace the bolt that holds it on
with a combination of a 2 inch threaded rod, and a "coupling
nut".  A coupling nut is designed to connect threaded rods and
is usually on the shelf next to the threaded rods at the hardware
store.

Now, as soon as you try to turn the coupling nut CCW, it will unscrew.
To prevent this, modify a box wrench to fit over the coupling
nut so that you can tie it to the winch handle with straps, such
as ty-raps.  You might have to cut the other end of the wrench off
and bend the wrench in a vise by hitting it with a hammer.  Now
the coupling nut will work in both directions.

Now that you have a hex shaft with female threads, you have something
to attach a sprocket to.  If necessary, use another wrench to
prevent the sprocket from turning free.

Rick N6RK