[TowerTalk] MonstIR/Orion problem

To: SteppIR@yahoogroups.com, towertalk@contesting.com,SlippNott2@aol.contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] MonstIR/Orion problem
From: UpTheTower@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:51:17 EST
Howdy -

    I've installed 2 MonstIRs and they both used the  Orion 2800 rotator with
a pinned mast clamp/mast. In the last windstorm, they  both started turning.
I used an SAE graded bolt for pinning them both and they  both broke. I'm
going to replace the mast pin with a bigger bolt but I'd like to  come up with
an
additional way to keep it from coming loose.

    Tom, K5RC, has come out with the SlippNot for  Hy-Gain type rotators
that's adds additional holding power to the rotator/mast  connection - sort of
belt-and-suspenders approach. That's the direction I'd  like to head in. Does
anyone have any additional suggestions? I'd appreciate  it.

    BTW my experience with M2 Orion rotators is that  over the years, just
about 100% of the mast clamps have eventually loosened up.  After much research
and investigation, I attribute it to bolt stretch;  particularly since nothing
you do to the nuts (LokTite, double-nutting, etc.)  seems to help.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188