Re: [TowerTalk] MonstIR/Orion problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w7why@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MonstIR/Orion problem
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:13:23 EST

In a message dated 2/27/2006 6:21:35 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>>  It appears that the m2or2800 clamp is a massive but poor >design.   Have
> you  modified yours?
> What suggestions do you  have.  I have two of those >rotators so any
> suggestion other  than
> be prepared to re-clamp them will be greatly  appreciated.

>  I had a rotor here that had a slipping  problem so I drilled through the
boom
and clamp and that held it.   Only problem came when we had a really bad
windstorm, instead of slipping,  it took the gears out in the rotor.

        This sounds like a typical  Hy-Gain rotator failure. Is that right?
With the current worm-gear drive  rotators (e.g. Orion, BigBoy, AlfaSpid), they
won't suffer the same fate. That's  why I'm really reluctant to pin Hy-Gain
and Yaesu rotators but don't have a  problem with the worm-gear types.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH