[TowerTalk] XM240 INTERACTION WITH TRIBANDER

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] XM240 INTERACTION WITH TRIBANDER
From: "Larry Schimelpfenig" <k7sv@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 19:25:59 -0500
I'm currently using a 2 el KLM 40 stacked about 8 feet over my KT36XA. The
booms are 90  degrees from each other to avoid interaction. I've been
extremely pleased with the performance of both antennas on the design bands.
While I tuned the 40 for CW, vswr doesn't exceed 3:1 until I get to the top
of the band. It's quite effective on fone.

I'm looking at pulling them down and putting them at about the same height
at the new NR4M site. I also have an opportunity to put an XM240 in place of
the KLM.

Over the years I've paid a lot of attention to what's been said about the
Cushcraft 40 stacked over tribanders. I'm left with the impression that out
of the box, interaction from the earlier 204-CD is minimal to non-existent
while the same can't be said for the XM240. I've also seen a lot of
discussion about shorting the reflector to the boom, but most of that
discussion seems to have dealt with using the antennas as a tophat used with
a matched tower on top band. There may have also been some discussion about
lightning protection.

I have two questions.

1. Does shorting the reflector to the boom make the XM240 the equivalent to
the 204-CD in terms of interaction with 15 meters on a tribander stacked
below it?

2. Based on what I read in the archives, I'm left with the impression that
the Cushcraft tuned for CW isn't real effective on phone. Is that what TTers
are experiencing?

I've very much disinclined to mess with success, but I like the thought of
having the booms aligned to prevent mental errors under sleep depravation.

73 de Lar K7SV