Re: [TowerTalk] Help; Coax Run

To: "K6XN" <k6xn@comcast.net>, <WarrenWolff@aol.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help; Coax Run
From: "Orcena Lyle" <olyle@usfamily.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:53:56 -0600
Your idea of putting the tower up before neighbors have a chance to think about
it has merit.  My problem is, to get a tower permit in Minneapolis MN where I
live, there is a requirement to send letters to everyone who lives within a 3
mile radius of where my tower will be, telling them of plans to put up a tower.
 The city will send out the letters (for a big fee and I have to make
arrangements with the city to do it).

In many ways, Mpls treats ham towers just like commercial towers.  Someone at
the Mpls city planning office actually told me that Mpls doesn't want ham
towers because they fall down all the time and the FFC has rules against hams
putting their towers in their back yards.  There was more, and I finally was
pushed too far.  I told the guy speaking to me that towers don't fall, they
fold, and the FCC encourages hams to put up towers.  He got up and walked away.

Fortunately he is not the person I'm working with.  The person I'm working with
is trying to be very helpful but she understands nothing about ham radio or
towers (as apparently is true of everyone there).  I've spent a lot of time
explaining things to her and I will have to jump through a LOT of hoops to get
the permit, which I believe is worth having when I put up a tower.  A lot of
people don't get a permit, but then they can be in big - and expensive -
trouble if a neighbor takes a notion to complain to the city about the tower.

I have to pay $450 to the city before they will even review my application.

I wasn't a ham when I bought my house in Mpls.  Had I been a ham then, I
would've moved to St. Paul or any number of suburbs which are not as hard-nosed
as Mpls.  But I'm fixing up the house and am attached to it, so will try for
the permit.  I already have a Rohn 25 tower laying in my backyard.

73 de Orcy  WØQT