Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV vs Yaesu G-1000DXA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV vs Yaesu G-1000DXA
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 10:25:34 -0500
Congratulations on the new tower!

First of all, I would put the 240 on top, for less TO angle on 40 meters
(better DX performance).  Assuming you are using a long mast for the upper
antenna. I would go about 10 feet above the top of the tower and would
purchase a very strong piece of mast material such as the high carbon steel
masts offered by Gerald at Texas Towers.  This would give a 10 foot
separation between the antennas.  You could probably get by with as little
as 6 feet if needed.  Check with Force 12 if you want to be sure.

I am currently using a 1000DXA to turn a C4XL at the top of my tower.
Before that was a 800SDX that was blown by a lightning strike.  The C4
should be about equivalent to your two antenna combo, so the 1000 seems like
a good choice to me.

73, Keith NM5G