Re: [TowerTalk] mismatch at feed, ok at transmiter

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mismatch at feed, ok at transmiter
From: "Bill" <w7vp@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 08:15:14 -0700
From: "Bill" <w7vp@comcast.net>
To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Saturday, April 15, 2006 7:35 AM

Jim
Nice explanation
Feedpoint matching is a big problem for most of us amateur designers.  I
have had a big 20 meter yagi for more than 30 years.  It came as a Bill Orr
type design with 4 elements equally spaced on a 36 foot boom and a T-match.
When YA came out I redesigned it an put on the 5th element.  In doing so I
split the driven element to feed it with a 1:1 balun

It turned out that the feedpoint impedance was in the range of 20-j25 ohms.
I shortened the driven element a bit to reduce the capacitive reactance and
fed it with two pieces of 75 ohm coax in parallel cut to a quarter
wavelength and connected to the amp (a 4-1000A) with 75 ohm feedline.  The
quarter wavelength matching section was almost perfect as the geometric mean
of the feedpoint and the feedline.

I just put the antenna backup last week after having it down for almost
three years and I am always astounded how good it is.  It is at least 3
s-units better than my Swan tribander on a separate tower at the same
height.

If anyone is interested I will give more details.  On thing of note is that
the elements are large at 1-1/2" for the 12 foot center sections
(6"half-length) with the remainder of the element nested into the center
section  at 1-1/4" with a matching sleeve.  The fittings are cast aluminum
with no marking identifying the original manufacturer and the boom is a 2"
square section turned with the corner up.  The mast mounting is also cast
aluminum with a lug and clevis arrangement that allows the boom tow be swung
down the tower for mounting and dismounting the elements. (Makes erection
fairly easy for such a big beam).  I would love to hear from anyone who
thinks they know who made it originally.

Bill
W7VP