Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIr's suck

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIr's suck
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 00:33:42 -0400

> How 'bout Meigs Field in Chicago?  Daley did it in, didn't he?

Two things were different there but Chicago did get fined the maximum amount
for not giving the required advanced notice. That fine in the future will be
raised by several orders of magnitude due to the Meigs debachle.  In the
future the fine will go from I believe $30,000 to some where in the millions
and depending on outstanding grants it could be many millions.

However, as I understand it, Meigs Field was not purchased with and federal
money and they didn't have any outstanding grants. OTOH there are some on
going investigation as to the mishandeling of federal funds for something
else were used to close the airport.  At this stage no one knows how much
it's going to cost Chicago, but it could be in the many millions of dollars.
Then again with Daily's connections it could all get swept under the carpet.

Things are a bit conplicated at present with a lot of politics being played
as the FAA is pushing for user fees but most say they are not needed and are
based on projections for future traffic that are completely unrealistic.  So
far they have been trying things and congress has been slapping their hands.
Who knows what we will end up with but the AOPA is one of the best
investments I can make.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com