[TowerTalk] Phillystran for Wire Dipoles in Trees?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran for Wire Dipoles in Trees?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:28:35 -0700
We've had several threads on this topic, and none of the options
seemed ideal or conclusively good.  I've moved to a new QTH, with
lots of 100 ft tall redwoods. I need to hang long dipoles with heavy
wire and heavy feedlines (I want to run high power). When I find
someone to climb, I'll have them put good quality pulleys in the
trees and rig some lines into them. Short term, I'm throwing ropes
over branches.

I've had bad experience with the 5/16" Dacron sold by Davis RF/Radio
Bookstore, which says it is made by Synthetic Textiles. This seems
to be the same stuff that DX Engineering sells.  The failure mode
I've seen is wear at the pulley. One of my friends suggested
Phillystran as a better alternative. Does anyone have any thoughts
or experience on this topic?

I'll probably have to pay a good buck for the climber, so paying a
bit more for rope that doesn't need to be replaced in a few years is
a no-brainer. Are there any other good alternatives? Are any of the
sailing lines worth the added cost?  How about polyester?

Jim Brown K9YC