Re: [TowerTalk] Liberal Arts Major - feed point impedance

To: "'TowerTalk Reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Liberal Arts Major - feed point impedance
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:01:00 -0500
Jim Brown wrote:
>As a general rule of thumb, I use 75 ohm coax for high dipoles and 50 ohm
coax for lower ones. The generally accepted definition of "high" is more
than a wavelength; "low" is less than a half wavelength.

Let's say you have an 80M dipole made out of 12 AWG insulated copper wire
supported at 80 feet on a piece of PVC pipe sticking out two feet from a
Rohn 45G tower.  The ends have insulators with non-metallic line (e.g.
Dacron) attached to reach to ground supports.  Bring the ends out on
opposite sides and tie off to supports (e.g. trees or stakes) 120 feet from
the tower base.  This would provide an inverted V with approx 56 degrees for
each end with respect to the tower (112 degrees total apex).  How would one
go about calculating the feed point impedance?

Regardless of the feed point impedance, what difference would be noticed at
the rig if 75 ohm coax is chosen as the transmission line versus 50 ohm
coax?

73, Keith NM5G