[TowerTalk] Fw: Climbing Trylon Towers

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: Climbing Trylon Towers
From: Dave NØRQ <n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 17:58:52 -0500
One additional comment on climbing a Trylon (I have a T600-64')...
The inside of my arms used to get all bruised and sore, from the wrist
up to the elbow, from climbing.  I tend to wrap my arm, especially the
left one, around a tower leg, while the other arm hooks or unhooks the
fall arrest hook or the lanyard.  I now use a set of old shin guards
(from kids' soccer) on my forearms, with the protection on the inside --
this helps tremendously.

Agreed on the "gloves" comment -- I consider them essential.  If I were
to drop mine (when removed for dexterity), I would have my ground
helper send them back up in a bucket -- climbing down without them
would be painful, to the point of being dangerous -- a gash on the hand
could cause you to react in a way that could have other consequences.

- Dave N0RQ

----- Original Message ----- > Some thoughts:

> 1) It is much harder to hold on to the legs and cross braces of a Tryon
> tower because your hand is wrapped around a thin (and thus sharp) edge,
> rather than around a tube with no sharp edges.

True.  I use soft calfskin gloves most of the time I'm on the tower,
 except when I need full dexterity like when applying hardware, etc., then
 I remove them.