Re: [TowerTalk] Downward Mast Extensions

To: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>,"'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Downward Mast Extensions
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 22:52:01 +0000
Doug:

     Couple of comments:

1.   Make sure your rotator will handle the added torque/twisting load.
Assuming everything on this mast will be a rigid connection (no loose clamps to
let the auxiliary masts pivot around the boom), then any wind load will be
applied four feet from either end of the main mast (at the outer ends of your
horizontal boom.)  Could be a significant lever arm force.

     This force might not be balanced on either side of the tower if the wind
comes in at the tower from a direction that shields one or the other
down-hanging array.  In other words, there could be a net torque applied to the
main mast and rotator.

2.   Wind force will be applied to the top of the tower just as if the
down-hanging masts had been installed upward instead.  That is, if the wind
were to blow straight into the assemblage of antennas on this mast/boom
combination, your tower top would be subject to the total moment force from all
the antennas' areas, at whatever magnitude of moment they generate, given their
mounting distances from the attachment points to the top of the tower.

BOTTOM LINE:  No such thing as a free lunch when it comes to wind loading.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>