Re: [TowerTalk] Downward Mast Extensions

To: <ersmar@comcast.net>, "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>,"'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Downward Mast Extensions
From: "Bill" <w7vp@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 17:36:18 -0700
Gene
I am not sure what you mean by a "moment force."  There is both a moment and
a force involved.  The force is the combination of all the arrays with the
wind load calculated.  It is applied at the top of the tower and creates a
side loading on the top of the tower.  There is also a moment.  It is the
summation of all the moments applied to the mast and again it is applied at
the top of the tower.  If the antennas hanging down are  rigidly mounted to
a horizontal mast the moment will be the wind loading times the distance to
the top of the tower (read radial bearing).  That moment will be in the
opposite direction of the moment from the antennas above the top of the
tower.  Hence the total moment applied to the top of the tower will be
expected to be less than with the antennas above the top alone at least for
a static loading  (Who knows what happens dynamically).  It is hard to guess
how the combinaiton will affect the tower.  Ordinarily I would prefer a
static horizontal force at the top of the tower  rather than a static
moment, at least from the buckling point of view.  The deflections can be
simulated broadly using superposition but it must be noted that the vertical
loads applied by the guys are not linear in the buckling mode so the
combination becomes more complicated.  Still if the combination of wind
loads are less than the tower allowables, it is worth a try since the
applied moment may well be less than with the antennas above the tower
alone.

I certainly agree with you other comments though.

73
Bill W7VP