Re: [TowerTalk] Helically wound verticals

To: Tom Osborne <w7why@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Helically wound verticals
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 07:14:41 -0400
On Jun 4, 2006, at 5:44 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:

> Some years back, there was an article, I believe in QST, about some
> vertical
> antennas wound on 2 pieces of pvc pipe.  They were for 40, 30 and
> 20.  The
> bottom section was wound for 30/40 and you changed the top section
> to change
> from 30 to 40.  There were 2 sections that were wound for 20.

I once made a helically wound vertical for 40m by taking a half-wave
of wire and winding it on a 2x4. Matching was accomplished by tapping
the first dozen or so turns and using a seriles capacitor.

It worked, but not well. A modest inverted L would be way more
efficient than a helically wound vertical.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901