Re: [TowerTalk] FS: Heavy Duty Climbing Belt

To: ersmar@comcast.net,"K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FS: Heavy Duty Climbing Belt
From: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:41:03 -0700
I am looking for a new belt. Anyone have any suggestions?
73 N7RT

At 12:25 AM 6/10/06 +0000, ersmar@comcast.net wrote:

>From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
>>

>> >        While OSHA rules only  require compliance by workers (people being
>> > paid for performing the tasks), it's  a pretty good idea to be as safe
as
>> > you
>> > can.
>> >
>> I can only speak for myself and this is not a recomendation to others, not
>> should it be taken as such, but I much prefer the old belt with a seperate
>> fall arresting harness and want nothing to do with any harness that will
let
>> me sit down in place.
>

>I, too, prefer separate positioning belt and fall-arrest harness.  I don't
like the idea of putting all my eggs in one harness basket, as it were.  If
the single harness were to fail while I'm aloft (the clip across the chest
breaks or whatever else), then I've just lost all my protection against
-1/2gt^2.  By using two separate harnesses (Buckingham positioning belt and
strap and Petzl full-body harness for the two gorilla clips on a Y-tail), I
have totally independent systems with a low likelihood, IMHO, of
simultaneous failure.

>BTW - Yesterday I ordered one of these:
http://store.pksafety.net/fi10tirela.html .  I liked the feature of the
shock-absorbing folds in the strap, something my current Y-tails don't
have.  I'll report to the group after they arrive.