Re: [TowerTalk] FS: Heavy Duty Climbing Belt

To: "'Hardy Landskov'" <n7rt@cox.net>, <ersmar@comcast.net>,"'K8RI on Tower talk'" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FS: Heavy Duty Climbing Belt
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:51:26 -0400

> >I, too, prefer separate positioning belt and fall-arrest harness.  I
> >don't
> like the idea of putting all my eggs in one harness basket,
> as it were.  If the single harness were to fail while I'm
> aloft (the clip across the chest breaks or whatever else),
> then I've just lost all my protection against -1/2gt^2.

I don't understand. The most likely situation in which the harness would
into play is when the belt positioning lanyard is not attached to the tower
(i.e., you're climbing.) In that case, the belt doesn't provide any
redundancy. If you climb with the positioning lanyard around the tower, a
harness with an integrated belt will provide just as much redundancy as a
separate harness and belt combination. For example, the Petzl Navaho
Complete Fast (http://en.petzl.com/petzl/ProProduits?Produit=469&Activite=0)
incorporates a harness, belt and thigh straps. Since the belt cinches
tightly around the waist with separate straps, I can't see a failure mode
with this integrated harness that would be avoided with a separate belt and
harness. This is the harness I use.

73, Dick WC1M