[TowerTalk] Climbing Safety

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing Safety
From: "William B. Stacy" <wstacy@wildblue.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:43:23 -0500
Hi, All:

I have been reading the posts about climbing belts versus harnesses, etc.
and suggest that anyone who thinks about climbing a tower go to the ARRL Web
site and order a copy of Tower Climbing Safety and Rescue.  The people who
wrote this book train professional riggers; I think they know what they are
talking about.  It is well worth the 30 bucks, and it convinced me to retire
my old belt and invest in a heavy-duty harness, fall-arrest system, and
positioning lanyard.  I figured that my physical well-being, and possibly my
life, were well worth the money I spent for the safety equipment.  Although
the harness is heavier than the old belt, it is much more comfortable and
secure when working on a tower.

Here are the quotations from ARRL:

-- Essential knowledge for all aspiring tower climbers--hams & professionals
alike. This knowledge is built on a combination of experience, study and
practice.

*  Understanding the dangers

*  Fall protections, fall restraint, and fall arrest

*  Hazard assessment, including wind, snow, ice, rain, lightning, insects,
electrical and RF dangers

*  Safety plans and safety equipment

*  Ascending, descending, maneuvering and suspension

*  First Aid and rescue

Includes OSHA regulations, suppliers and an intense glossary of terms.

This book is essential reading for technicians, supervisors, and project
managers involved in the construction, inspection maintenance, and contract
administration related to wireless communication installations.

VY 73 and stay safe!

Bill, K7EY