Re: [TowerTalk] Bracketed 45G

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <kev@ida.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bracketed 45G
From: <hdmc38@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:16:25 -0400
Be careful when you anchor the house bracket to the brick building.Brick looks
great and low maint. also,but can be quite porous.Not much to hold a wedge
anchor or what ever else you plan to use.I run 28' of rohn 45 with a C3S 5'
above the top. base is a short base in concrete.The bracket is anchored into
the tie-beam on top of the cms.Last year it held up fine in hurricane
Wilma.111MPH clocked on my weather station.Everything was fine.Climbing 45G is
a dream compared to 25G.Good choice.Hope this helps.

                                                                          Joe
Patrick K4XZ

> From: K7LXC@aol.com
> Date: 2006/06/15 Thu PM 12:20:57 EDT
> To: towertalk@contesting.com,  kev@ida.net
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bracketed 45G
>

> In a message dated 6/14/2006 3:50:27 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>
> >  I am working on plans for a 50' bracketed Rohn 45 tower. In  going through
> the Rohn catalog looking at foundation drawings for Rohn 45  bracketed
> towers, you can either use a base plate or plant a tower section  in concrete
> for the foundation. Is there a reason not to use one method or  the other?
> This tower needs to be unguyed and will be bracketed to a brick  building for
> a community installation. The county wind rating is 75MPH.  The antenna load
> will be less than 8 sq feet. The top bracket will need to  be a little lower
> than the Rohn specs. 45G was selected over 25G because  of this. Any
> recommendations or caveats are  appreciated.
>

>         My first question is what  heights it's going to be housebracketed at
> and how much tower will be  above the top bracket (Rohn specs call for 2
> brackets)? The Rohn specs allow 14  feet above the top bracket and will take
> approximately 30 square feet at 75 MPH.  (Obviously you can go up a little
> higher
> while de-rating the capacity.)
>
>         In my experience, having  the bottom of the tower in the concrete is
> much more stable than bolting a  baseplate to the concrete but since the
> brackets will be taking the side forces,  it doesn't make much difference
> which way
> you go.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve    K7LXC