Re: [TowerTalk] re Radials

To: "Richard M. Gillingham" <rmoodyg@bellsouth.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>, "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Radials
From: "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:11:28 -0700
Well, heck .. start off with the premise that once you lay a waaaarrrrr
on/in the ground, it is no longer resonant, in the first place!  And, the
computer programs for antenna modeling have not a clue as to what your
"ground" is really like, and the capacitive coupling to the earth varies ..
even in the same "field" ... so .. just get them thar waaaarrrrsss out
there, as many as you can, and as far as you can ... 4 feet, 22 feet, 150
feet, whatever...wherever... and that vertical will plumb hum ... as to
which direction will be "favored" .. who knows? (The Shadow?)  Use whatever
waaarrrr you can find ... cheap ... what with copper so expensive now, the
electric fence wire seems more better all the time.  Nope, won't last a
lifetime, but, will you still be at that QTH in .. say, 15 years?  I have a
super small downtown lot these days (no more moving .. it's ours, bought and
paid for), sometimes to my dismay, but my HF2-V on the roof, with elevated
radials, really does work .. no, not a 3L beam, but .. I'm in there
scratching! 73
Mark Nelson  -  AA6DX

mailto: AA6DX@ARRL.NET