To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 42, Issue 63
From: Nick Pair <daweezil2003@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:34:26 -0700 (PDT)
Paul K7HSV,
  Sounds like you are experiencing voltage drop at the tower base. When you try
to raise the tower the current draw of the winch motor is droping the line
voltage to the tower below where the coil on the relay can hold the contacts
in. I've seen this many times on remote contactors. Check voltage with the
contactor held in and I think you will be surprised how low it drops under
load. The only cure is a larger feed to the tower, which will also help the
lifetime of lift motor which really dislikes anything greater than about 5%
lower than nameplate rating. Lower voltage always means higher current for same
load.
  Good luck,
  Nick WB7PEK