Re: [TowerTalk] Wind generators/towers and antennas

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind generators/towers and antennas
From: "Don Moman VE6JY" <ve6jy@3web.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 20:40:53 -0000
My 1 kw wind generator (Cyclone) is electrically quiet - nothing but an
PM alternator - but other units with "smarts" in them may not be quiet.
The bigger issue may be what the unit connects to.  Invertors, PWM
charge controllers etc are potentially very noisy at lower frequencies.
I'm using some APC UPS's ( Smart UPS 1400, 2200 w models w/pure sine
wave) for my "invertor" and even they generate some noise. More than I
want but possibly less than I can live with.  Some of this noise may
feed back into the batteries and then up to the wind gen, effectively
radiating this into your antennas so filtering may/will be needed.

73 Don
VE6JY