Re: [TowerTalk] Porcupines and other wives tales

To: Bill Aycock <baycock@hughes.net>,"Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>,"'Jim Jarvis'" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Porcupines and other wives tales
From: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:37:32 -0700
Hi All,
Let me toss my hat into the ring here and tell you my experiences about
lightning.

When I erected my  two towers, I grounded them very well. There was an
article by a W5 out in West Texas that used a mixture of vermiculite and
other things to make his ground. The holes I dug were about two feet in
diameter and three feet deep for each tower. Three-quarter inch, 10 ft
lengths of copper tubing were used. The soil here in AZ is very dry so a
low impedance ground I thought was necessary.

The second thing I did was to provide a large surface area at the top of
each tower (ie, a Yagi with grounded elements) to dissipate the charge
build up. There is a company out of Chicago that makes ground screens for
towers who's sole purpose is to dissipate the charge build up caused by
passing storms. Their claim to fame was to dissipate the charge before the
electric field gradient was sufficient to cause a strike. In my opinion, it
works.

I followed these two ideas and I have never been hit  in 24 years although
the grammar school about 400 yards to the West of me took a direct strike
about a year ago. I thought it was all over with when the sound and the
flash were at the same time.
This was not cheap either but so far it has worked beyond my expectations.
I know I have that article somewhere.........

73 Hardy N7RT