Re: [TowerTalk] Porcupines and other wives tales

To: "'Bill Aycock'" <baycock@hughes.net>,"'Keith Dutson'" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>,"'Jim Jarvis'" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Porcupines and other wives tales
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:09:20 -0500
Charge can not be altered or bled off enough to make any difference. The
earth can re-supply the charge many times faster than you can reduce it. It
is worth reading the below article that Tom Osborne referenced in another
thread. It shows the math on how to calculate the charge being bled of from
sharp points.

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/magic.pdf

It shows at what field level corona starts and what typical levels are in
approaching storms.

The build up of ions around the sharp points are also quickly blown away by
the wind. There is another company that touts an air terminal with a small
radio active tip that is supposed to create an ion field around it to
enhance the charge bleed off. Problem is the ions do not stay put in the
space because of the wind.

For those that still believe in this magic of reduction of charge as a
protective device, I have for sale some rabbits feet that you can hang on
your tower to reduce lightning strikes. I have had one on my tower for years
and never had a strike. Proof that they work!

73
Gary  K4FMX