Re: [TowerTalk] Brazing ground wires to copper-clad ground rods

To: <k3hx@juno.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Brazing ground wires to copper-clad ground rods
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:39:08 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <k3hx@juno.com>

> I've been through the archives on this but have not found
>
> suitable answers.
>

> In addition to some Cadweld "one-shots," circumstances require
>
> me to clamp / braze some less critical connections.
>

> I've some skill welding and brazing and an oxy-fuel setup.
>

> 1    Is there a specific flux that is required or just works
>
>      better for this procedure?  If so, a maker and part
>
>      number would be appreciated.
>

> 2    Is there a specific type of brazing rod that is required
>
>      or just works better for this.  I asked my welding jobber
>
>      for "silver bearing" brazing rod and got a blank stare in
>
>      response.  If so, a maker and part number would be
>
>      appreciated.
>

> 3    I'll be using stranded #2.  Any special precautions, advice
>
>     or "tricks of the trade" would be welcomed.
>

> Thanks to all.
>
> 73
>
> Tim Colbert  K3HX

Tim,

When I inquired about silver soldering copper-to-copper at the
local welding shop, the guy there sold me a tube of "Stay-Silv
15" Silver Brazing Alloy Rods (15% silver, 5% phosphor). Mind
you I haven't tried them yet (I am planning to use them for my
front-yard radial project), but according to the catalog they are
supposed to be self-fluxing for joining copper to copper (the
catalog recommends Stay-Silv white brazing fluz for joining
copper-to-brass or brass-to-brass). Solidus temp is 1190 deg
F and liquidus 1480 deg F:

http://www.jwharris.com/jwprod/pcubrazealloys/#staysilv15

Again, please bear in mind that I haven't actually tried these
yet, so I can't swear that they are the right solution, but the
technical/catalog does seem promising.