[TowerTalk] Continuous, bonded grounds

To: "'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Continuous, bonded grounds
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 11:41:26 -0700
Again, we are getting more good education on grounds.  Thanks to all
participating.

I've got a bit of a dilemma, which leads to a question.  My old antenna book
shows a ground system where everything is bonded together in a complete
"circle."  The tower grounds tie in to the shack ground which ties into the
utility ground, which ties into the telephone ground, which (etc. etc.) and
eventually you end up tying back into the tower grounds, thus forming a loop
or circle of sorts (the picture shows it going around the house).  This
makes sense but in my case it isn't very practical as my tower (and its
ground system) will be in the back yard while all the other grounds are in
the front and there is continuous concrete slab all around the house to the
edge of the property on the sides.  My shack grounds are tied to my 100+
yard long copper water main, which is tied to my utility grounds, but it's
more of a straight line than a loop.  I can bring a ground wire back from
the tower and tie in with this series of grounds but the continuous loop
concept isn't really practical unless I run a long ground wire over concrete
and through the garage.

How important is it to have this looped ground as opposed to a linear series
of grounds all tied together?

Thanks & 73 - JC, K0HPS