Re: [TowerTalk] Heavy Guage Copper Wire Source??

To: JC Smith <jc-smith@comcast.net>,TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heavy Guage Copper Wire Source??
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:01:34 -0500
Hi, JC;

I will answer you question more directly than in my first response.  I
apologize for missing your direct question.

I recommend branching from the tower legs, to ground each leg
independently.  Those tower legs may also be tied to the Ufer ground
terminals and to any other ground rods you choose to place near the
tower base.  However, each radial from a tower leg should go straight to
a ground rod, with no unnecessary bends or turns for minimum inductance.

I also thought of another analogy for the ground rods in soil: the
capacitance represented by each ground rod is like a filter capacitor in
a power supply.  The conductance into the earth is like the load and a
bleed resistor. If the capacitance and conductance are great enough, the
voltage never gets very high.  Even if the conductance is poor, the
lightning event is so short it doesn't charge to a very high voltage if
the capacitance is large.  The capacitors are a low pass filter that
grounds the ripple (lightning surge).  The conductance, even if poor,
bleeds off the accumulated charge shortly after the event.

73 de Red