Re: [TowerTalk] stranded cu wire

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stranded cu wire
From: Nick Pair <daweezil2003@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 22:18:46 -0700 (PDT)
I must apologize to all on the stranded issue. I miss typed and it should have
read that solid  non stranded wire is hard to find in larger sizes than AWG #2
cu.

> There has been a lot of talk about stranded conductors. You have trouble
> getting stranded much larger than >AWG#2 cu from most wholesale houses.

  I've never seen tinned 00 and larger although I'm sure it exists.
  I've seen AWG 750 MCM cu but was normally insulated.

If I understand this correctly the wire would have to be bent down through
the clamp and then bent back straight to go to the next ground rod. They
generally emphasize, no sharp bends in the ground system.

  You are correct but it will be more like a ball of metal after they silver
solder/braze it all together. Still in all a compromise that favors mechanical
durability over the ideal if a t-tap Cadweld.

  To all you use a Cadweld system, please prepare as manufactures information
and be aware that any moisture can be extremely dangerous. A shot can spray
molten copper everywhere.  A shot is kinda like a firecracker and a sparkler
all in one with a little bit of smoke bomb added.

  On the generator subject I suggest that anyone thinking about one please read
the pertaining sections of the NEC and NFPA or have someone who has, direct
you. All union electrical contractors are licensed and hire only licensed
workman, with a bond to cover any damages resulting from noncompliance with
above organizations. A nice peace of mind.

73
  Nick
  WB7PEK