Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar bending jig

To: "'Freeman Pascal'" <pascal@pascal.org>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar bending jig
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:38:26 -0700
For square foundations it's probably best to rent a bender from a
construction equipment rental company but for a cylindrical foundation, an
EMT conduit bender works great.  BTW, something I didn't realize until I
spoke with one of US Tower's civil engineers was that a cylindrical
foundation with a diameter equal to the length of the sides on a square
foundation is an acceptable substitute.  It's less concrete, for sure, but
our building dept. went along with it too (once the engineer said it was
OK).  As it was so much easier to drill the hole than dig it (it took less
than a half-hour once the rig was set up) I went about a foot deeper than
the plans called for, so I ended up putting some of the concrete I lost by
eliminating the corners into the bottom of the hole.

Be sure to confirm this substitution is OK with your engineer/building
official before you do it, but in my case it was no problem and it sure made
digging the hole simple.

73 - JC, K0HPS