Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Installation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Installation
From: Dave <dave.n7drk@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:13:54 -0700 (PDT)
JC, Kelly, Mike, Gene,

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do not anticipate
getting around to setting the base until maybe Oct-Nov
so I will have plenty of time to research some more.
>From what I have been able to read so far - I am
thinking that I may tie the three tower legs to the
rebar cage within the block of concrete - unless I
find data that suggests otherwise.
I will also use six ground rods spaced approximately
sixteen feet out from the base and equidistant from
each other (two per tower leg).
I understand the smooth (no sharp bends) routing of
the ground "wire" to the ground rods. In addition to
the six direct (tower leg to ground rod) connections,
should each of the ground rods be tied together
(envision a sixteen foot radius circle defined by the
six ground rods)?
I am not clear on reasons for what appears to be three
different types of grounding "wire", solid, stranded
(as supplied by Trylon), and braided (
http://www.harger.com/lightningprotection.htm ).

Cheers - Dave - N7DRK
--- snip ---