Re: [TowerTalk] AT&T/SBC Location Communities in Texas

To: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AT&T/SBC Location Communities in Texas
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:41:38 -0500
Gordon:

Unincorporated areas in most Texas counties have little regulation as
far a zoning except for massage parlors, X-rated video stores, and strip
joints.  Texas still believes mostly that a person's land is theirs to
do with as they please, at least out in the country.  Unless there are a
lot of complaints counties pretty much leave things alone in the
unincorporated areas, other than to collect taxes.  Houston TX, the
largest city in Texas and fourth largest in the U.S.,  is the largest
city in the country without zoning laws, so businesses are allowed to
operate within residential neighborhoods. Despite the lack of zoning
laws, the industrial and residential regions are generally separated
from one another because the primary industrial section developed and
remains along the ship canal, while residential neighborhoods developed
mostly outside this area. However, some overlap does occur.

As a for instance, a friend of mine and my wife lived south of Arlington
TX several miles in a community called Webb, and he put up a 190 foot
tower with a 3 element linear loaded 80 meter beam with no zoning
problems.  When Arlington annexed his property years later there was
nothing they could do because he was grandfathered in and his several
acres stood stood in the midst of southern Arlington surrounded by homes
and businesses along South Cooper Street, one of Arlington's busiest
streets.
Jinks finally got tired of living in the city so he moved out to the
country west of Fort Worth and put up an antenna farm.

Even though counties may not have many regulations, subdivisions could,
so if you buy rural property around Dallas-Fort Worth double check
everything.

Tom, WW5L