Re: [TowerTalk] RFI Radius vs Ant Height

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RFI Radius vs Ant Height
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 01:22:30 -0000
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 12:17 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] RFI Radius vs Ant Height

> Question is:
> What has others experience been while running KW level HF
> stations, as to
> typical or maximum distances from your station
> tower/antenna, to homes
> experiencing objectionable RFI to various home
> electronics.  If say, 500
> feet, in my case I may irritate 60 or 70 households.

It looks like your electric and cable lines are underground
in that neighborhood. That is good. I guess there is no
restriction on towers. That is also good. I think you have
hit upon the perfect city location! It's good to be in the
center of a development, far from overhead power lines.

I run 1500 watts to a tribander at 50 feet in a neighborhood
like that. I've been here for 29 years now, and neighbors
have come and gone. I've had some complaints, but not many.
Most relate to telephone interference. I just give them a
cheap rfi-resistant phone, and that usually solves the
problem. I don't have any problems in my own house, so I
expect that the neighbors are ok too, but I don't go out and
ask them. Almost all of the complaints have come from within
a 100 yard radius.

An even more serious question these days is how much rfi are
the neighbors going to generate? A bad plasma TV, digital
power supply, or "smart" battery charger can wreak havoc on
the hf bands.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.