Re: [TowerTalk] RFI Radius vs Ant Height

To: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RFI Radius vs Ant Height
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:32:44 -0700
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:17:23 -0700, you wrote:

>Question is:
>What has others experience been while running KW level HF stations, as to
>typical or maximum distances from your station tower/antenna, to homes
>experiencing objectionable RFI to various home electronics.  If say, 500
>feet, in my case I may irritate 60 or 70 households.  If the RFI affected
>radius is larger, I am in even more trouble with neighbors..
>Raising the antenna from, (small multiband yagi) say, a  modest 40 ft to,
>say 70 feet... will that ameliorate the neighborhood  RFI very much for an
>HF KW?

You will soon be meeting a lot of your neighbors. I had the same
situation and it was more than unpleasant. In fact, that is one of the
main reasons I moved 99% of my operations to RTTY. Of all the common
HF modes, RTTY is probably the least likely to cause interference of
any kind, either TVI or audio rectification.

>Maybe I should think towards building a club/Public Service/Contest oriented
>station at a location near, but out of subdivision interiors.....OR...Going
>QRP.....

Or moving to the desert, as I did. :-)

Bill, W6WRT